Monday, September 29, 2008

Making of the Jonesz


What can I say about the making of The Jonesz Season One? The first track Patr00 and I ever recorded together was Blueberry Hotel. Back then all three verses were on one bangin-ass beat that sounded like it was from the '92 era of make you jump hip hop. Patr00 remixed beats for many of the songs on our album but Blueberry definitely has the most unreleased versions. We tried rerecording verses but ended up using the original a capella. Next Best Thing and Mount Real Habitat are both end of the night jam sessions. Patr00 drops a beat, I drop my spit, one pass, that's it. Backups get recorded the next week and she flys. For monthes all we had of Mount Real was an MP3 mixdown because the session file got mislabeled thinking we'd never come back to it. People ask questions about Super8Supperclub. I recieved a beat in my email box with a message saying something about an EP release. Frankly, the beat was a little unconventional but at that time Patr00 and I were still getting to know each other so I figured he was testing me, sort of challenging the limitations of my rhyme capability. I wrote lyrics and showed up. When I jumped in the booth there was a kerfuffle over which beat we were supposed to be playing. Turns out, I had received the wrong beat in my mailbox and written a song over it. Accidents happen. We recorded the track. That track is Super8Supperclub. He had originally intended to send me the instrumental for Kill Mics which got recorded shortly after. Pat00 never released the EP because half of the cuts eventually made the track list for Season One. I should mention a bit about Ortega Cartel in connection to The Jonesz. If you follow politics you already know that Patr00 handles production for both teams, as well as writing and spitting rhymes in his mother tongue, Polish, for Ortega Cartel. My man Peter Pit is the other top spitter in Ortega Cartel, best known for sparking mic sessions and jamming in the studio lounge building. Whether it be chilling out bouncing ideas, handling photography at our liveshows, or dropping a verse next to mine on a Cartel joint, Pit has held us down since day one. I've also spent time getting to know Ivo Vlassak at 77cuts who created the cover design for this album. Patr00 and I are very greatful for their countless contributions and scrupulous attention to design, artwork, photography and video, and the media we create in bringing The Jonesz to life. When I gave a burned CD of music to my friend Think Twice back in the springtime of 2007, I thought I was handing him a final draft of The Jonesz debut album. Think does all the prodution for Specifics and he's also in touch with P-Vine Records in Japan. We got news back from him that the label was interested in pressing the record pending a few additions to the tracklist. That put a spin on things. Having a record contract at our doorstep allowed us to reapproach the album from a new perspective. Changes were made, beats rearranged, contracts signed, then Think Twice and I made Lemonade. The final track we did for the album was With G featuring Golden Boy who is the MC from Specifics. He was on his was from Vancouver to Japan to perform a live show with Think Twice and we caught him on the last night of a two day stop over in Montreal. A bunch of peeps were in the studio that night and we spent most of our time catching up and kicking freestyles in the booth. The verse we ended up using for Golden Boy's feature was from a previous session recorded monthes earlier on a completly different beat that happened to fit the tempo. As usual, the song came together in true Jonesz fashion. After adding all the icing; DJ appearances, last minute remixes, and mixing, we sent the album to Noon in Poland for mastering. Final tracks were sent to P-Vine Records and The Jonesz Season One was released in Japan. A month later we got the call from Asfalt. I think we're most hyped about the double vinyl. That's what we've all been talking about. Jesse Maxwell :: The Jonesz Addendum: IVO, I've added a few changes to my shouts. Nothing drastic but I would be greatly appreciative if you could include my revision. Much Thanks. Jesse Maxwell – Refer to Shoutro! Thank you all, Mom, Dad, Joel, Josh and the whole family tree, additional shouts to: Grossman, MacPhee, Tams, Liz, Real Deal Keel, Middle Finger Mike , Greenberg and Sam, TeleDiscomusic goes out to Sean A, thanks to Charlie Manzo for the cuts, big up to Lou Munny and D-Cyphur, Ocean Eyes for being a stable force in my life when everything else seemed nebulous. Loud shouts to all those of you who ordered the album all the way from Japan to get your copy! Special thanks to P-Vine Records and Asfalt Records for hooking us up!! Peace to anyone playing our music!

No comments: